Sunday, August 30, 2009

YAY Technology

It's been many moons since I last updated the few that still take the time to look at this word-vomit on a computer screen. However, due to the acquisition of a computer (thanks parents :-]) I'm able to let you all (both of you) know what's been going on in the life of a 22-year-old dude struggling to find direction as the arrival of adulthood is fully realized.
So I suppose I will start at the beginning of the summer, since I haven't written since mid-June. I began my summer job on a sunny Monday doing something I didn't think I'd ever actually enjoy: I'm a custodian. From 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM every day, I slog a mop back and forth, wrestle with wet vacs, buffers, and obstinate waxing materials, lean out of windows four stories up to ensure their cleanliness, and shove furniture around. And yes, I actually enjoy it. Mostly. Ecclesiastes (and Proverbs, and Psalms, I believe) talk about the "sluggard," how they barely work and prosper for it. Some of my most frustrating moments have been had when I have to take over someone else's job because they have simply "disappeared," vanished to another room behind a locked door on a previous floor, getting paid to take a nap. For the most part, though, I pop in my head phones and listen to sermons while mopping or waxing, where interactions with others are limited.
On weekends, I typically climb rocks. I don't know why I enjoy it, but I do. I don't know many others who will take an afternoon to brave a scary, strenuous overhang with a 15 foot fall onto barnacle covered rocks, or lunge for a hold barely wide enough for their fingertips 50 feet above the ground while they face face an at-least fifteen foot "whipper," a fall away from the wall until the rope catches and then swings them back towards it, if their tendons can't hold the strain. I can't explain its attraction. But it's there. Yes, I'm probably crazy.
Currently, I was looking for a job, then got tired of filling out random forms and online resumes and attempting to remember the phone numbers off all the employers I've had. I am hoping to find something with the National Park Service, although permanent jobs with them are hard to come by. Money only gets tighter the more I try to save, and I realize how SOL I am without Jesus. I am really trying to trust him with everything I have, and when I don't have much, it's hard to let go of what I do have. As I try and figure out what to do next in life, I know the only lasting thing that I can do is trust him with my life, and everything else is kindling, according to 2 Peter. Awesome. :-)

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Wow - a blog post from the eldest! I'm sick in bed, pushing all sorts of buttons on my computer to pass the day away, and I find the Brandon's Blog button. Nice to see you're still alive. Well, at least you were still alive a month ago. . .! :-)